1. What is the proposed Langat 2 water supply scheme all about?
The proposed Langat 2 water supply scheme is to treat raw water obtained from Pahang – Selangor Interstate Transfer Scheme and distribute it within Selangor and Kuala Lumpur as required to meet with the water demand areas, particularly Hulu Langat, Ampang, AU3, Kuala Lumpur, Cheras, Sg. Besi, Bukit Jalil, Petaling and Puchong areas.
2. Why we need to build the proposed Langat 2 Treatment Plant and its associated works at this such big scale urgently?
The water supply situation in Selangor and Kuala Lumpur has reached a critical level with water demand envisaged to exceed the current water supply system capacity which is severely affected by the climate change factor experiencing nowadays. It is estimated that the current water supply demand has reached 5,000 MLD. The proposed Langat 2 Treatment Phase 1 Works with will be able to provide water supply of about 1130 MLD once it is completed and commissioned in 2019, it will help to increase the Klang Valley overall water supply capacity to about 5,500 MLD. Please refer to Project Information for further details.
3. What are the works involved in construction of the proposed Langat 2 Treatment Phase 1 Works?
The proposed Langat 2 Treatment Phase 1 Works involves the following major works component:
i.Treatment Plant Works including raw water bulk transfer connection works between Pahang Selangor Raw Water Transfer Scheme and the proposed Langat 2 works as shown in the below schematic diagram.
ii. Western Corridor Treated Water Bulk Transfer Works including construction of the proposed Bukit Enggang Balancing Reservoir, proposed service reservoirs at Sg. Besi, Bukit Jalil and Petaling, and also 31 km length of pipe connections works of various diameters pipe ranging from 2.5 m diameter to 1.95 m diameter pipe as shown in the below schematic diagram.
iii. Northern Corridor Treated Water Bulk Transfer Works including construction of the proposed Hulu Langat Balancing Reservoir, proposed service reservoirs at Ampang and AU3, and also 20 km length of pipe connections works of various diameter pipe ranging from 1.75 m diameter to 1.5 m diameter pipe as shown in the below schematic diagram.
4. Where is the construction site of the proposed Langat 2 water supply scheme?
The location of the proposed water supply scheme is shown below:
i) Treatment Plant Works – located in Hulu Langat Area
ii) Bulk Water Distribution Works Northern Corridor – proposed pipe route cutting through Bandar Mahkota Cheras, Taman Hulu Langat Jaya, Jalan Hulu , Hulu Langat Forest Reserve, Lembah Jaya, Taman Kosas, and Sg. Ampang, Ukay Height Areas, and MRR2 adjacent to Wangsa Maju areas.
iii) Bulk Water Distribution Works Western Corridor – proposed pipe route cutting through Bandar Mahkota Cheras, Cheras – Kajang highway, Bandar Tun Hussein Onn, Sg. Besi Military Training Camp, KL Turf Club, Sg. Besi – Puchong Bypass, Taman Bukit Serdang and Taman Puncak Jalil and Bandar Kinrara.
5. Since pipe laying works would cause interruption to public such as dust, noise, road cleanliness and possible damages of access road, how to minimize or resolve this problem to the public?
Yes, the proposed pipe laying works would cause inconvenience to the public. In order to minimize the problems, the below mitigating measures actions will be taken:
- a.To provide canvas to minimize the dust
- b.Use of steel plate on road surface to prevent road damages for access of heavy machineries
- c.Road will be cleaned up after works every day.
- d.Rectification of road damages will be done “one short” overall as soon as possible
- e.Road barrier will be erected along pipe trench
- f.Blinkers will be provided during night time
- g.Security officers will be employed for monitoring of security and safety at the works site during night time, and sufficient lighting such as “spot light” will be provided at works site.
- h.Should accident occurs, contractor representative will assist in reporting to police and insurance claim
6. Will there be any private lots need to be acquired by the government for this project? How many lot will be involved in land acquisition and what is the status of compensation payment until to date?
From the beginning of the project in early year 2015, a number of private lots have been acquired for the purpose of this project. Some of the private lots have been successfully acquired and some of the private lots are still being acquired.
7. If the proposed pipe laying works cause demolition of existing structures such as car garage and stores along the proposed pipe route, any compensation from the Government for the demolition works?
In reference to land search at Pejabat Tanah and local authorities, most of these structure (car garage and store) are illegal structures which are constructed on the government land without approval. Hence no compensation payment will be given. Structures constructed on the private lands are under category of land acquisition process.
8. If the business of the licensed restaurants is affected during the pipe laying works due to dust, parking issue and temporary closing, can they claim for the business compensation?
The proposed pipe laying works are not stationed at one place but the interruption is temporary. The pipe works will move progressively along the pipe route once pipes are laid. However, the affected restaurants owner are welcomed to come and discuss with us should there are any problem happen during the pipe laying works.
9. If there are any damages or cracks at the houses adjacent to the project site during the pipe laying works, can the house owner claim for compensation?
Dilapidation survey will be carried out before commencement of pipe laying work to provide a record of the existing condition of premises or houses adjacent to the project site with the permission of the owner of the premises or houses. If there are any complaints regarding damages or crack of their premises or houses, the dilapidation report will be referenced for comparing the earlier existing condition and current conditions to verify the causes of such damages or cracks. Necessary repair work will be carried out to rectify the affected premises or houses should such damages or cracks are caused and resulted from the pipe laying works.
10. Are there any other methods in pipe laying works?
Open Cut is the fastest method for pipe laying works with shorter construction time as compared to the Pipe Jacking method that consumes three (3) times of open cut construction time. Pipe jacking method will also cause inconvenience to the public as necessary machineries and plant are required to be located at the surrounding area.
11. Will the pipe laying works be carried out from morning until night time?
No. Pipe laying process will only be carried out from 8.00 am until 7.00pm Monday to Saturday. On Sunday and Public Holiday, there will not be any construction activities for pipe laying works.
12. What will be the arrangement if there is any emergency or feast/function during the pipe laying works?
Resident will need to inform the contractor two (2) weeks before the feast or function to allow contractor to plan accordingly to ensure no works will be carried out at the affected area. If there is any emergency, contractor will stop the pipe laying works immediately to allow for the necessary access for rescue purposes. The contact number of site representative will be displayed at the project site.
13. Will the pipe laying corridor be fenced after construction works completes? Are we allow to re-construct garage?
Pipe laying corridor will not be fenced. Public are not allowed to construct any structure on the government land.
14. What happen if there is any pipe leakages?
Should there is any pipe leakage, it will be detected through the monitoring system that is incorporated in the treatment plant. Once the location is identified and action will be taken for the necessary maintenance works.
15. Will there be any Phase 2 for this project and where will be the pipe laying route for the Phase 2 works?
Phase 2 is still under the consideration and still not finalized yet.
16. If there is any accident, traffic jam, house crack or etc. problem occur, what are the action will be taken to resolve the issue?
Prevention action will be taken before commencement of any pipe laying works such as providing the concrete barrier or New Jersey Barrier (NJB) and blinkers during night time. Flag man also will be provided for traffic control purposes at the junction and any required area. Dilapidation survey will be conducted for properties adjacent to the Works site before commencement of the Works providing a reference of the existing condition of the property for future comparison and verification of damages of property caused by Works. Should verification indicates that the damage is caused by the Works, the Contractor will reinstate the damages to the existing condition without any charges.
17. Is there any new method or technology for the pipe laying works?
There are generally two (2) methods for laying pipes. (1) Open Cut, (2) Pipe Jacking. The construction time for open cut method is shorter than the pipe jacking method. Open Cut method will still cause interruption to public such as noise, movement of the machineries and etc. The disturbance due to open cut pipe laying works is only around 1 week for a stretch of 10 m as compared to pipe Jacking method. Pipe Jacking method was a slower method as the excavation of the Jacking Pit and Receiving Pit are required at each interval of 50m length along the pipe route, it will take a long time to dismantle these pits as compared to Open Cut method. And also the public will be facing with more interruption with the existence of machineries and power plant location
18. Who will be responsible if there is pipe leakage after the completion of the pipe laying?
Contractor will be rectifying the pipe leakage in two (2) year time after the project completion date (defect liability period). After the defect liability period, maintenance and pipe repairing will be done by Pengurusan Air Selangor (AiS).
19. Is there any form of guaranty from the Developer that the pipe will not leak?
Leakage test will be carried out at the factory before delivering to site. Then, after pipe laying work completes, another leakage test will be carried out on site. All the testing method and criteria must be complying with the specification. If the leakage occurs, leakages will be traced. Rectification work will be carried out by the operator / maintenance teams following the guideline and specifications.
20. Have any considerations been taken for the adjacent houses near to the pipe laid?
For information, pipe only will be laid within the road reserve. During the pipe laying works, all the necessary safety measure will be taken and complied with the approved Method Statement. Monitoring and supervision work will be done by Consultant representative to ensure the safety.